Monday, August 30, 2010

Wanted: Reading Suggestions



I love to read. Up until college I thought I hated it, but it turns out I hated being forced to read a book that I had no interest in. Don't get me wrong Uncle Tom's Cabin, Grapes of Wrath, and The Great Gatsby are all books that you should read once in your life and I hear they are incredible. I just didn't feel that way about them. I believe I would have gotten much more out of them if I had read them out of my own free will. I worry now that I have such a sour taste in my mouth for those books from high school that I will never attempt to read them again. And as of now I have no desire to. Hopefully that will change.

Because of the sour taste in my mouth for the classics, I have literally dodged that section of the bookstore. I recently tried to give it another go. I decided to start reading....wait for it....wait for it....Pride and Prejudice! Yes, you are free to gasp. I have never ever read it. Saw the movie though. Loved the movie. Probably should have read the book before the movie. Honestly I'm not hopelessly in love with the book. Call me crazy. So to get to the point of this blog...I am about to finish the book. I usually have another book in mind that I can't wait to pick up. For the first time in a long time I have no book in mind at all. I'm bookless and that is not a happy place. This is where you come in. I would LOVE to know your top favorite books and I just might possibly make your favorite my next selection.

Here is a list of my top 5 literary favs:

1. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
2. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
3. On Hitler's Mountain by Irmgard A. Hunt
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
5. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger





6 comments:

  1. anything by Jodi Picoult! She is amazing and I have read all of her books. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is great as well. Look at my page on my blog called "Books!" I have some great ones there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Tale of Two Cities is my favorite classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to give Wuthering Heights another try! It's my all time favorite with drama and lots of romance! Also, Little Women is a classic that I've read several times and dearly love. Both books will tug at the heart strings! Last, but not least, the best of the self-help type books - How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Practical information supported by various examples of historical figures such as Lincoln, Al Capone, etc. Extremely interesting and applicable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom I took your advice and Wuthering Heights will be accompanying me on my flight tomorrow. Moms do know best. Muchas Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost got Girl With the Dragon Tattoo the other day..then I didn't.

    You should read one of my faves: Observatory Mansions. It's weird, but I think it's your kind of weird. I'll bring it whenever I see you next!

    So this is making me think that you, me, and Steph should have a book club. There, it's decided. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear this! I feel in love with reading on my own volition. I used to hate it asw well.

    Pride and Prejudice (the movie) I'm obsessed with. I also read the book, and it was harder to get into, but still A MUST for all girls.

    One I would suggest is East of Eden. It's a doozey but it's amazing. Steinbeck wrote it, but it's much more interesting than the Steinbeck you were forced to read in high school. (it's on Oprah's list)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete